- 1 How to use this wiki
- 2 DIWO Culture : Hacking art/Sci/Tech & Activism
- 3 Communication / Outreach
- 4 Organisational
- 5 Documentation
- 5.1 The Test Launch - Day 1
- 5.2 Balloon Research - Weekend
- 5.3 Preparing for HaSTA Rider 1 - Day 2
- 5.4 Planning HaSTA Rider 1 - Day 3
- 5.5 Aargauerstrasse Location conditions inspection Day 4
- 5.6 Preparation and Aargauerstrasse Aerial Mapping Day 5
- 6 Locally Sourced Ballooning Kit Swiss-Rako Style
- 7 Further Readings
How to use this wiki
Dear participants, please make sure you prepare your account and get some first experience in using a wiki, in this case it's MediaWiki the same software on which the famous wikipedia has been created. The previous link directs you to many instructions on how to use a wiki. look at it.
You should have received a login by now. Try it out and create a new page for your own project notes, give it a reasonable name and make sure you add the folling line at the end of the page, so it will be sorted all in the same category.
Please write a few sentences about yourself, add links to your other websites, blogs, biographies, artworks.
- try to add images
- "internal links" to other pages on the hackteria wiki
- "external likns" to websites
- embed a youtube video?
See an example Dominique Lämmli.
You can always click the "edit" link on this or other pages to see how stuff has been written in the mediawiki language.
DIWO Culture : Hacking art/Sci/Tech & Activism
DIWO - Do It With Others
To engage with the most pressing issues (environment, social injustice, globalisation) of society, artist have embraced new transdisciplinary practices, which combine the use of open source tools (OST) and hacking strategies in a collaborative manner with "others". DIWO (Do It With Others) Culture will introduce such strategies through case studies, hands-on experimentation and team projects to the students. This first edition will focus on OST for environmental monitoring and artistic interpretation.
Artists & designers, socially engaged practioners, creatives in general, researchers, hackers, activists and anyone interested in DIWO Culture - HaSTA.
No previos knowledge in electronics, hardware or software tools is necessary, but a basic interest in learning something new is crucial.
Max. Participants is 12.
In case of high interest the participants will be selected by a criteria to increase diversity of the group (gender, cultural background, skills and previous educational training)
- basic understanding of a selection of open source tools for environmental monitoring
- first steps into sensing and electronics
- learn how to use open source tools for aerial mapping
- improve cross-cultural / transdisciplinary communication and collaboration
- get insigth and compare different artistic practices in a global context
ZHdK im Toni-Areal, Pfingstweidstrasse 96
(coming from the tram-station “Toni-Areal” you enter the building through the big entrance hall (level 3) , you pass the “Momento Kafi” and take the stairs (or take the lift) to your left, walking up to level 5. Here you cross the hall, keep on the left side, and have a look for the big “K” respectively the signs signaling “5.K10”.)
The course will be held in english.
Part 1: Introduction and Case Studies
- Introduction into hacking strategies
- Group discussion of examples of artistic & activist practices
- team formations
- Input lecture 1 (tbd)
Part 2: Practice and Experimentation in Teams
- Basic overview of environmental mapping methods
- DIY aerial photography
- Field-tests see here
- Group work and experimentation
- Input lecture 2 (tbd)
- Introduction into Open source tools for documentation and sharing
- Group work and prototyping
Independant Project work
Part 3: Presentations and Reflections
- Short presentations by the project teams
- Critical discussion and feedback
- Reflections and future directions of HaSTA
Balloon Mapping stuff by Public Lab
Tech Tools for Activism
Weather and Wind predictions Switzerland
Dr. Marc R. Dusseiller aka dusjagr
Marc Dusseiller aka dusjagr is a nomadic researcher and workshopologist. He is part of the Center for Alternative Coconut Research and co-founder of SGMK and the Hackteria network. He loves making DIWO laboratories for creative biological experimentation and works in an integral way, combining science, art and education. He has worked as guest faculty and mentor at various schools, Srishti Institute of Art, Design and Technology, Bangalore (IN), UCSB (USA) and in Switzerland, FHNW, HEAD, ETHZ. He lives and works in Zürich, Yogyakarta and Taipei. He also loves coconuts.
Communication / Outreach
in direct communication with ZHdK
- modular/movable worktables and chairs
- running water
- power sockets
- will be organized by the mentor himself...
Hagit Keysar (Tuesday 10:00 via skype)
My research and experiments with DIY aerial photography in Palestine-Israel focuses on civic science in spaces of civic inequality mostly in East/West Jerusalem. It shifts away from the focus on environmental issues; though the environment is always there within a range of systemic rights abuse, from discriminatory urban planning, through land expropriation to forced displacement. I work with communities, NGO's and local institutions entangled in urgent issues who find it relevant and inspiring to create their own, high quality, local scale aerial photography. Some of the collaborations presented here are activist projects oriented towards a particular issue, workshop or event such as the cases of Beit Safafa and Silwan. Other projects present long term collaborative work which is made possible through ongoing collaborations with affected communities, funded through partnerships with NGO's and academic programs such as the work we do in west Jerusalem with the civic architecture unit in Bezalel, and the work in the Negev (south of Israel) with Zochrot and Forensic Architecture, and the research collaboration with Dorit Naaman in Qatamon.
Michael Candy (AU) (Wednesday 10:00 via skype)
Michael Candy uses physical technologies to impart systems theory on ecology and sociology. A myriad of encounters both ecological and political, give rise to contrasts as paradoxes become diluted.
Candy is a member of BESTCINCO Media art and design group as well as Golden Solution Collective. He has been involved in many international and local projects and exhibitions, notably: The Kathmandu Triennale (Kathmandu,Nepal), Pratt Manhattan Gallery (NYC, USA), The Forum of Sensory Motion (Athens, Greece), The Instrument Builders Project + Hackteria Lab (Yogyakarta, Indonesia) and Hawapi (Huepetuhe,Peru).
Dominique Lämmli - Visitor
Tessa Todorovic - Visitor
Dates and Schedule
- 3 blocks of 6 lessons (5h total)
Block 1: Introduction
Fri, February 2, 14.00 – 17.30
Block 2&3: Guided practice and experimentation within Project Teams
Tue, February 6, 09.30 – 13.00 and 14.00 – 17.30
Wed, February 7, 09.30 – 13.00
- 1 block of 2 lessons for final discussion
Block 4: Presentation, reflection and discussion
Sat, February 10, 14.00 – 17.30
Independant study/exercise and project work
- indpendant, approximately 20 hours of independent work is expected, in preparation and through-out the module.
Further Information / Preparations
All the course material and student's documentation is being published under a Creative Commons licence on the Hackteria Wiki.
The Test Launch - Day 1
Balloon Research - Weekend
Preparing for HaSTA Rider 1 - Day 2
Hasta Rider Misson 1.1
Hasta Rider Misson 1.2
Planning HaSTA Rider 1 - Day 3
started to collaboratively edit on this googledocs
Aargauerstrasse Location conditions inspection Day 4
The Shelter container location in Aargauerstrasse is open for anyone to come. It is possible to walk around the containers, but there are tall trees and some wires between the 2 sections of containers facing each other. Right next to this container living space, is another very similar container area with ateliers and offices. Also easy access and even more space to flight the balloon
- Balloon would be easier than Kite.
- The balloon has to be very high in the air.
- There are not security guards or visible surveillance; although these are living areas and we should keep a distance from the windows and not be too loud or invasive
- There is a long side walk by the 2 containers areas. A straight Balloon tour from the outside could give us a nice general view of the street - containers
- If we want to integrate the people living there, we could have a have a table with the material, and maybe some tea and cookies ;) for them (to create a friendly inviting space for them to join).
- Important is to be open to explain the project to anyone who asks.
Preparation and Aargauerstrasse Aerial Mapping Day 5
PART 1: Preparation
Meeting at 10.30 am. With the "others'" help, Nico, Soz und Tibor, we built one more big balloon and another one with many small balloons to test a more everyday material version.
There was some trouble with the 360° Camera. Also battery problems of the small gopros kept us busy almost all morning. The joint team was involved and so YES we did it! every member shared the own knowledge...
Um 12.00 the Winter School Team offered a "Suppenzmittag"..
PART 2: Flying!
It was pretty cold outside and all of the participants therefore brought their warm winter clothes....
ALL THE PEOPLE WHO DID PHOTOGRAPH THE PROCESS - PLEASE SHARE YOUR PICTURES!!! SEND THEM TO KATHRIN!!! SHE WILL UPLOAD THEM - HERE IS OUR DRIVE TO SEE THE IMAGES: 
We took 2 big balloons, a red and a yellow one.
Red Balloon: we flew around 80 m high. image: resolution 16 MP, an image every 3 seconds. Unfortunately the images are not complete and therefore can't be looked at or opened with a standart program. Corinne still kept the photos, maybe we can decode them some other way. We think the high resolution would have made it necessary to have an image every 10 seconds (more processing time).
yellow balloon: we flew around 120 m high. image: 360° video with 2x180° cameras, as well as 2 jpeg images; Corinne will find out how to process the film material and put it online.
The whole group will meet soon to discuss the further steps of the project.
Locally Sourced Ballooning Kit Swiss-Rako Style
- Balloon 115cm (maybe add 2?) | 16 CHF (See Ballon-Express)
- small balloons, various | 2.50 CHF
- Polyesther String 1mm / 100m | 9.50 CHF (Coop Bau & Hobby) or from factory
- Rope 4mm / 3m | 3 CHF (Coop Bau & Hobby)
- Rubber Ring | X CHF (DoIt Migros, a bit small)
- Rubberbands, various sizes (dusjagr's personal stock)
- Karabiner, various | x CHF (Modelbau Shop Wieser)
- Velcro tightener | X CHF (DoIt Migros)
- Gloves, GEBOL EcoGrip XL | 3.75 CHF (Coop Bau & Hobby)
- Rako Box 30 x 20 x 8 cm | 17.50 CHF
- Victorinox Knife with scissors | 24 CHF
- Paint Marker | 3 CHF
- Food-packing Clamp | 1 CHF (Migros)
- a little notebook and pencil (missing!!!)
- Tape (missing!!!)
- what else?
Materials you need to prepare
- Helium portable | 39 CHF (Migros Do It Garden)
- Plastic Bottle
Update 7. August 2018:
HIGHLIGHTS EXHIBITION 2018 AT ZHDK
After the second mapping at Aargauerstrasse with many asylum seekers joining the making of ballooning cameras and flying, we received the great message to exhibit our idea and work at HIGHLIGHTS 2018 (see all Information here: []).
Our exhibition will contain 4 parts:
>> materials of the mapping. balloons, plastic bottles, knives, cameras etc. >> 2 maps. 1 mapping of Toni/shelter, 1 mapping of Basislager/shelter Aargauerstrasse, printed. >> database. to use highlights as a platform to connect target groups. >> meet-ups. open discussion format on specific dates on important topics about migration in Zurich / Switzerland.
Our team works to make the exhibition as interesting and fun for visitors as this project is for us. THANK YOU to: Kathrin Maliszewski, Stefan Hegglin, Marc Dusseiller, Dominique Lämmli, Annemarie Bucher, Mia Seulmi Kang, Michael Schmid, Tessa Tedorovic u.a.!
TO BE CONTINUED...
Videos, Pictures and Data from Seminar
Civic Technology and Community Science: A new model for public participation in environmental decisions
New Art/Science Affinities
New Art/Science Affinities free for download.
See other related courses by dusjagr collected here
Hagit Keysar - The DIY Aerial Testimony
Rebel Geeks and Weise 7 Studio
What i am not talking about...
See Full HLab14-Documentary