Random Thoughts About Soil
When is it soil?
When it's not just sand or mud, but contains life: bacteria, microorganisms, fungi, ...? (How many of them in a cubic centimetre?)
When you add water, at what point does the soil turn into (dirty) water? ;)
How is one soil different from another?
Types of soil that garden centers and supermarkets offer
- sowing soil ("Aussaaterde")
- geranium soil ("Blumenerde")
- peat soil
- soil for growing vegetables
What determines when it is one type or another? How can we determine what kind it is from a sample?
What are the ingredients that the respective plants like in these types of soil?
Soils that exist in different places
What determines the colour of soil?
What determines the smell of soil?
Changes in the quality of soil over time
How does soil degrade?
by giving off nutrients to plants that grow in it?
in the sunlight?
How can soil be revitalised?
fallow land ("Brache")
Waiting to be categorised
- What influence does the color (wavelength), and the intensity of light have on developments in the soil?
- How does soil respond to sound? What sounds does soil produce?
- What is the "right" amount of humidity?