DIY handheld centrifuge
To make a handheld centrifuge you will need,
1. A hand-blender
2. A circular disc/ a fan/ wheel or anything which is fit enough to spin on the blender's blade. It needs to be a little bigger than a tea-cup's saucer.
3. PVC pipe; long enough to cut out six pieces which would fit test-tubes inside, the width will need to be a little larger than that of the test-tube.
4. Pipe caps to seal off the bottom of each pipe-piece.
5. Synthetic wire, about 2mm thick.
6. A drill, with a 1/2mm drill bit.
7. A cutter and a mini saw.
Steps to make,
1. If the blender's blade is surrounded by a border, saw it off, it'll be easier to fix the disc/wheel/fan this way.
2. Take the disc/ wheel/fan place it over the blades of the blender, make sure it's centered. Mark the points of the blades on the disc/wheel/fan.
3. Drill holes in the disc/wheel/fan where the points were marked, use a cutter and make the holes wide enough to fix the blades into them.
4. If there is no provision on the disc/wheel/fan to tie the test-tube holders, make six holes on the edge of the disc/wheel/fan to do so.
5. Now, fix the disc/wheel/fan onto the blender's blades. To secure use Emseal around, over and under the area where the blades protrude out of the disc/wheel/fan.
6. Let it dry completely.(Making sure it's dry is very important.)
To make Test-tube holders,
7. Cut up the PVC pipes into six pieces.
8. Drill two holes at the edge of the pipe, one at each end of the Diameter of the pipe.
9. Fix the Pipe caps at the bottom of each pipe, if they are loose, seal them off with the sealant.
10.Pass one wire through each hole, knot it so it doesn't slip through the hole.
11. Once the sealant on the blender's blade has dried up completely, tie up the ends of each wire in the pipes onto the holes on the edge of the disc/wheel/fan. Make sure the knots are all very strong.