<strong>Synthetic Biology for Artists and Designers 2</strong>
<strong>10th May 2010 </strong>
• Biology - individual understanding and definition. • Brief History of Biology - Scientists/Microbiologists (Video) ? Anton Von Leeuwenhoek ? Gregor Mendel ? Robert Hooke ? Louis Pasteur ? John Baptiste Van Helmont ? Joseph Jackson Lister ? Theodore Schwann ? Rosalyn Franklin ? Watson & Crick • Evolution – Brief understanding and controversies • DNA, Protein – Introduction • Bacteria E.Coli • Readings – PDF ? Scientific America – Engineering Life ? Synthesizing DNA of microorganisms for various purposes ? Sequencing of DNA ? Cost factors involved ? Comparison to Moore’s Law ? Human Genome • Video – (BBC)-The Cell-The Hidden Kingdom
Homework - Reading (PDF)
1. Life: What a concept!
<strong>11th May 2010</strong>
• Recap of yesterday’s learning • Video lecture by David Sadava ? Expression of genes ? Phenotypes and Alleles ? The Nucleus ? Totipotent Cells ? Cloning ? Genes, chromosomes ? Human genetic information ? Cell processing • Introduction to Synthetic Biology by Andrew Hessels • Video – Darwin’s theory on evolution
<strong>12th May 2010</strong>
• Video Lecture by David Sadava ? Epidemiology ? Lung Cancer gene ? Mutations ? Requirements of a DNA ? Responsibilities of a Protein ? Variety in DNA ? Somatic and Sex Cells ? Virus ? DNA & its properties ? Structure of a DNA ? Replication of DNA • Video of Watson and his story of the discovery of the DNA model at TED.com • Readings – Applying engineering to biology • Reading – Adventures in Synthetic Biology
1. Reading 2. Online Research
<strong>13th May 2010</strong>
1. Video Lecture by David Sadava ? Spider web theory of protein ? Protein production ? Structure of protein ? Synthesis of Protein ? Human protein synthesis ? Types of proteins ? Expression of Proteins ? Gene – Protein relationship ? Metabolism ? Thermodynamics ? Mechanism, Cell Theory and Evolution ? Ricin and its discovery ? RNA and its role ? Transcription and Translation ? Nirenberg’s Experiment ? Mutations and changes in base pairs • Video tutorial on DNA replication • Video tutorial on Protein synthesis
1. Exercise – Make a piece of art form using any LIVING form that should have the capability to grow over a period of two months.
<strong>14th May 2010</strong>
1. Video Lecture by David Sadava Genomes – further details ? Mutations & Mutagens ? Cancers caused by mutation of genes by radiation ? Genetic Damage ? Leukaemia ? Scientist Renato del Bucco’s work ? Hierarchical sequencing ? Shotgun sequencing – Craig Ventor ? Bioinformatics ? Information from a genetic sequence ? a. Coding sequence b. Protein amino acid sequence c. Gene control sequences Sequential Genomics ? First genome to be sequenced ? Hypothetical suggestion of 24000 genes in a human being ? Synthetic Biology - making artificial genes to bring about a desired result ? Scientist Werner Arber ? Restriction Endonuclease ? How a bacteria prevents Viral infections ? DNA Mapping ? Recombinant DNA ? Stanley Cohen & Herbert Boyer’s Experiment ? Goals for making rDNA ? Transgenic animals and plants ? Naked and Vector DNA ?
<strong>17th May 2010-05-17</strong>
1. Video Lecture by David Sadava ? Isolation of genes ? PKU and dystrophy ? Methods of analyzing DNA ? Reverse Genetics ? Dystrophine Gene and Utrophine ? Gene Therapy ? Nucleic Acid Hybridization ? Genome Library ? DNA Microarray ? Metastasis 2. Exercise - Think of your own creature. Design it. Explain detailed mechanisms using diagrams. This organism could be hypothetical. Name it. 3. Make a scientific paper on your creature 4. Demonstration of Gabriel’s current prototype of visually representing genetic sequenced data of a human mitochondria.
Homework – develop and complete creature.
<strong>18th May 2010</strong>
1. Video Documentary – BBC – The Cell – Chemistry of Life 2. Video Documentary – BBC – The Cell – The Spark of Life 3. Discussion of Creatures, peer feedback and progress
<strong>19th May 2010</strong>
<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12045337&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1%22 /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12045337&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1%22 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><a href="http://vimeo.com/12045337%22>Center for Genomic Gastronomy @ Srishti, Bangalore, India</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3901760%22>genomic gastronomy</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com%22>Vimeo</a>.
1. Presentation by Zac on The center for Genomic Gastronomy ? What is Biotechnolgy ? Perspective of food by all living things ? Geohackers, Biohackers, Geoengineers, Planetcrafters ? Agriculture Biodiversity ? Agrinformatics ? Metadata and food Genomes ? Food System Adaptation ? Agriculture Terrorism ? First world eating issues ? Cuisinformatics 2. Extraction of DNA
<strong>20th May 2010</strong>
1. Presentation of Abstracts of New Creatures ? The Booster Cell ? Supercule ? Thermo Cell 2. Exercise – Create another new creature which does not necessarily have to be a microorganism or even possible to exist. Completely hypothetical, imaginary of fantastical is great!
<strong>21st May 2010</strong>
Minutes of the Class
1. Discussion of ideation on creation of machines.
<strong>22nd May 2010</strong>
Minutes of the Class
1. Video Documentary by Craig Ventor ? Scientific Breakthrough – First fully Synthetic Cell to be cultutred. ? Genome copied from Mycoplasma Genatalium ? Genome synthetically prepared in the lab ? Introduced into yeast cells to complete transformation ? Introduced into host bacterial cell which transforms to new organism ? Watermarked with 46 authors, web address and mail ID ? Significance – vaccine production and Oil Spill reduction 2. Artist & other Research ? Stellarc ? Symbiotica ? Orlan
<strong>25th May 2010</strong>
1. Visit to NCBS ? Tour of the Campus ? Meeting with PhD student Mehra and Navneet ? Introduction to the lab space ? Discussion over Science Institutes and their pros and cons ? Tour of other labs with various workflow instruments
<strong>26th May 2010</strong>
Minutes of the Class
1. Video Tutorial by David Sadava ? Bioremediation – using organism to improve the environment ? Fluorescence in nature and different organisms ? TNT used as example ? Degraded by Psuedomonas Putida ? Integrated Pest Management ? Bacteria in decomposition ? Bacteria in Waste Water Treatment ? Extremophiles ? PCR and its significance 2. List of materials required to build the art form made from a living organism 3. Artist & other Research ? Institution of Applied Autonomy ? Center for Post Natural History ? George Gessert
<strong>27th May 2010</strong>
Minutes of the Class
1. Video Documentary by Kary Mullis on the making of the PCR 2. Artist & other Research ? Adam Zaretsky ? Eduardo Kac ? Patricia Piccinni 3. Field work on material for art form construction.
<strong> 1st June </strong>
Yeast Growing http://www.disknet.com/indiana_biolab/b021.htm